Wednesday, January 03, 2007

That dang hoshi fuseki

Aaargh! It's that fightin' fuseki again!

Does the above board position look familiar? It's a fuseki where every stone is on a star-point.

I'm sure you've seen it at least once if you're a lower kyu. Maybe several times. I'd bet real money almost everyone has played it.

Whenever this fuseki materializes, the first thing that comes to mind is, "We're going to have a real fight".

In the Nihon Ki-in Small Encyclopedia: Fuseki, Fujisawa Kazunari writes this about this particular opening:
Although playing only on star-points like this may seem simple-minded, the result is roughly equal and sometimes seen in tournament play. After this, the players will either mark-off huge moyos or start some serious fighting.

To the best of my recollection, I've always found myself playing White when this fuseki materializes. That's likely because two reasons:
  • I have a habit of playing moyo openings as White, so my first two stones are on the star-points.
  • One of the best ways that I currently know of to counter a sanren-sei fuseki by Black is for White to build a sanren-sei as well.
When the 10th move is called for, I follow the example that was set in a 1990 game between Cho Chikun (W) and Takemiya "Mr. Moyo" Masaki (B).


This is the first "paratrooper invasion". Just a little behind the enemy's sector line and far enough from enemy stones to be able to run (or, hopefully, fight out).

Then when it comes to attacking and defending the corners, I rely heavily on timing, and what little I have read in Chapter Four of Masaki's book, The Enclosure Josekis.


Fuseki Quiz 20/20

This is it gang. This is the last fuseki quiz. Next week, we'll see the table of what Miyamoto thinks your rank should be after adding-up the scores for all of your answers.

Black to play.


Scoring the last Fuseki Quiz 19/20
(Jump to the last quiz!)

  • A = 4
  • B = 6
  • C = 2
  • D = 10, Black playing on N4 is correct. If it is ignored and White is allowed to play her next move to L3, then Black's stones would be separated into two groups. It is a small play but also a key point. You cannot pay attention only to the big points on the sides in the opening.
  • E = 8

Odd stuff on the web
Multi-tasking. If I could study Go while doing a bench press, I'd do it!

How about learning English to music while doing aerobics? Maybe it's not a bad idea.

Of course, things can go a bit too far. This video shows the instructors training the viewers for a more unpleasant encounter in America.

4 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, January 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I choose A. Follow the proverb of playing away from (White's) influence.

BTW, the nine-star opening, i believe the key is to force your opponent to over-concentrate their forces. Each side has 2 3-3 invasions to utilise, and if you can overconcentrate your opponent in the centre, then that would be valuable.

Cheers,

XCM

 
At 5:02 AM, January 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are supposed to use thickness to attack so I think Black's idea should be not to give white a target. I go with A, though B may be possible.

That video is funny, hopefully not very practical.

JMP

 
At 7:07 AM, January 05, 2007, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello xcmeijin!
I might try out your 9-hoshi strategy. Timing may be the key. Someone once tried that on me early in the game and I just created a Takemiya-sized moyo in the center.

 
At 2:27 PM, January 05, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Well I chose E, the maximum extension from the hoshi and enough room to create a base which reduces W space. It also follows Guo advice of playing in big spaces..but i was concious of that thickness proverb :-(
I am starting to look at Guo Juan GO lessons, and at my level she recommends memorizing the first 15 moves of a pro game to get a feel for the flow of the stones and train the brain. With the double saren-sei i can get the first 9 moves real quick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home