Sunday, July 16, 2006

Restarting regular play

Coming back from vacation, and a long hiatus from regularly doing problems or reading books, I tried playing on Kiseido Go Server and my rank fell back to 17k.

bitti had counseled me in an email (as many of you have similarly done) to ignore my rank and to avoid any mental blocks that might make one believe that achieving a higher rank isn't possible. One of my last posts expressed a sense of "unworthiness" of my earlier achieved 14k and that mental attitude, he warningly alluded, can affect one's progress.

Sound advice. I'm just going to get myself back on track with regular readings, daily tsumego and, hopefully, a more game reviews. See you all online!


Fuseki Quiz 13/20

White to play. I think Miyamoto would recommend a reduction in the
upper right.
My problem is that I have no idea how D or E would
be applied; so instead I choose C.



Scoring of the previous Fuseki Quiz 12/20
(Jump to the last quiz!)
  • A = 2
  • B = 10, It's time to strike at the vital point of the corner enclosure. This is the biggest move on the board. The exchange of 2 for 3 in Diagram 1 is expected, but it is very important to divide the left side. It would be too big to let White play D12.
  • C = 6
  • D = 4
  • E = 8
Diagram 1

2 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Those KGS ranks sometimes remind me of childrens' yo-yos. The opponents' intent on the game varies between extremely serious and blitz for fun.
Your performance at the upcoming tourney is a better gauge of strength...and yes, we are all told to ignore ranks, but some other thing hidden deep within our psyche tells us otherwise. 'Who cares how many games you lost at 17kyu once you reach Shodan?!' they say. True, but still....

 
At 11:35 AM, July 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuseki quiz...

Hmm. I think "D" is the answer for me. White's jump to "C" could be met with a similar jump by black. His one-space high enclosure is pretty solid, white will not easily match that territory. Additionally, black's thickness on the bottom left side means that he can still hope to invade or reduce white. If black jumps out of his top right formation it becomes considerably harder for white to do something similar who has no such support.

So, the shoulderhit of "D" to limit black's expansion seems right to me. I don't believe the push and slide (like the 3-3 shoulder hit joseki) is the right idea for black here. I think he would push from behind once and then jump. Then white has sente to try something else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home