Monday, June 26, 2006

Playing on correspondence servers

I now have five ongoing games on Dragon Go Server, the most well-known of the Go correspondence servers. These are one's best alternatives when one cannot find a solid hour (or more) to play a real-time game on the real-time Go servers.

Two games are rated and the other three are meant to be "teaching" or "sparring" games; ChiyoDad as punching bag. I've been on the receiving end of a lot of teaching games and reviews in the past. Sometimes the best way to repay an act of kindness is to pass it on.


I don't really know how to play a teaching game so I opt instead for what I call a "learning" game. I try to openly discuss (via comments) how the game is progressing, what risks I see, what looks stable and what doesn't. I also encourage my opponents to use Sensei's Library or books to look-up some of the positions and ideas that we're applying.

Feel free to counsel Peter (aka Ash), trevoke and Marta (aka Aurian). All of them are working hard to improve.

No comments on the rated games until they're finished, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home