Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Invasions and reductions beginning as attachments

We often hear the advice about not attaching to stones that we want to attack, as the proverb goes. Also as kyu players, many of us have become familiar with the jump into the 3-3 point for an invasion as is illustrated in the joseki below.

This jump into the 3-3 works best when the opponent has no supporting stones nearby. It can be played to claim the corner or the side depending on the opponent's responses. The situation changes however after a shimari, an enclosure, is made and the opponent has extended from it.

I was recently introduced to invasions and reductions against enclosed corners while reading Takemiya's The Enclosure Josekis. The book focuses on how to deal with corners after a shimari and extension have been formed. Interestingly, Takemiya show that one of the best approaches is with a probing attack that uses a tsuke, an attachment.

This is the approach outlined in Takemiya's book for what he classifies as Star-Point Pattern Six.

The same approach is applied against an enclosure made with a 3-4 stone; 3-4 Pattern One in Takemiya's book.

Played successfuly with an understanding of the joseki, both will end with three possible outcomes.
  1. White lives in the corner and Black seals her in.
  2. White lives in the top and Black seals her in.
  3. White escapes to the center.
These studies have become necessary as I've progressed and, sometimes, opted to play as White. I'm finding reductions and invasions to be a growing part of my arsenal as I move from big-moyo games to a style that must apply and counter amashi and shinogi.


toastcrumb Launches Her Summer Blog


Well, summer vacation has started and that means lots of time for the younger Go players to really get into the game. How I envy all of them!

toastcrumb is kicking-off her summer with an ambitious agenda to achieve shodan. However she fares, it'll be interesting to watch her progress so drop by her blog and wish her luck!


Father's Day

Last weekend was Fathers' Day. After dinner was over, I spent its eve pretty much vacuuming the house, scrubbing the bathrooms, doing laundry, dusting and polishing the wooden furniture, et cetera.

It's worth it!

4 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Takemiya's "Enclosure Josekis" is out of print; where did you manage to find one? I've been looking everywhere, but to no avail.

Marcel

 
At 5:47 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Maria said...

Hey, Chiyodad!

Just FYI, Friday the 23rd is Spare the Air Day. All public transportation in the Bay Area is FREE.

Yeah, just so you know. :D This includes BART!!!

Just spreadin' the word.


And thanks for linking me.. hehe. :P

 
At 7:22 PM, June 22, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

Hello Marcel!

My copy was acquired at a second-hand bookstore after much searching. It is, regretfully, difficult to find and there are no efficiently written in-print substitutes.

The closest equivalent, but more difficult to study, is Fujiswa Shuko's "Reducing Territorial Frameworks". Slate and Shell released "Keshi and Uchikomi" but I'm of the opinion that most of the patterns are infrquently encountered in matches.

Hello Maria!

I have Spare the Air Day licked. My current job allows me to telecommute 95% of the time. I just hope that I get to keep it; it'd be good for me and good for the environment.

I'll be rooting for you in your shodan challenge!

Best Regards,
- ChiyoDad

 
At 9:16 AM, June 24, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I noted your thoughts on Invasions and Reductions with interest. I too have just tried adding these to my GO arsenal. The first problem I find is in deciding which of the two techniqus to use when. As a high kyu player I normally recognize the moment just too late! My opponent playing a stone which highlights why I should have reduced or invaded the previous move :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home