Wednesday, May 24, 2006

DrStraw gets me thinking about 3-4s and 3-3s

DrStraw (aka Steve Fawthrop) has been an active contributor to GoDiscussions.com and he recently started a Fuseki study thread. It would be good for both beginners and intermediate players so you might want to drop by.

DrStraw mentioned that he disliked moyo games (where one plays on the star-points) which implies that his openings are probably more territory-oriented. I have a bit of an aversion right now to 3-4 openings and that's because I have no clue as to how to use them effectively. The closest thing that I play is the Chinese Opening.

He posited this sequence for analysis on the Fuseki study thread.

Is this supposed to be acceptable for White?

My immediate reaction was, "Ugh! How can White play such a slow opening? Isn't she already at a disadvantage here? What's with the 3-3 of White 4?"

Now, my assumption is that White's next move will have to be an approach to Black's Q3 stone with at either Q5 or R5. That could set in motion plays for a base to the right, a left-facing wall, or even a pushing action against Black on the lower side. The big question is how the 3-3 could fit into all this. Maybe its an intentional mistake to illustrate bad fuseki?

But the more I look at that 3-3, the more I wonder if there isn't some inherent strength in it. It's already taken the corner. It's centralized and and extension to either the left side or along the bottom is possible. Cho Chikun himself has been able to play the 3-3 with success and has written a whole book about using it in contemporary openings.

Yes, folks! There is a 214-page book on using the 3-3 in one's fuseki.
This book was $12 at Games of Berkeley.

I don't believe any of the Korean professionals use the 3-3 to a great degree in their openings but that doesn't invalidate its use. Whatever the case, the good doctor has gotten me thinking about territory-oriented openings and I may experiment with them - after I have had a chance to read-up on their proper application.


Expanding Don's Database

I've been busy helping out with GoDiscussions.com's Go Product Database. I've been adding products, typing descriptions, scanning covers, correcting images ... the works. If you've read and have an opinion on some of the items listed there, feel free to submit a rating and your comments.

You'll find a list of my product ratings on the left-hand side of my profile page there.


Another beginners' tournament coming in Berkeley?


On their website, the Berkeley Go Club has hinted that they may set up another beginners' tournament in June 2006.

ChiyoMama will be travelling to Southeast Asia in mid-June so I'm anxious to find out when this tournament will be scheduled so I can determine if I'll be able to participate. I need more real-life games under my belt.

4 Comments:

At 1:58 AM, May 25, 2006, Blogger Stjep said...

As far I as I know quite a bunch of pros play that joseki (including my favorite pro Nie Weiping).

Plus I don't think it's slow at all, on the contrary. Fights that occur from the 3-3 point use to be quite interesting.

 
At 6:45 AM, May 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always a tradeoff. In one sense it's slow, but in another, you're saving a move since you've already secured the corner with one stone.

 
At 11:06 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

It'll probably be a while before I incorporate the 3-3 into my fuseki. On the bright side, there aren't many josekis that I'd need to study.

 
At 10:12 AM, May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think an approach is the next best move, though it might be playable; R10 is the next most urgent move for both players, in my opinion, to avoid B getting a double-wing that would be difficult to reduce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home