Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Pincers and fighting spirit


augustine (20K) granted me the courtesy of a rated game with only two-handicap stones; setting the game level to 22k. I really appreciated this opportunity to test myself. The game ended after I captured a large group in the center.

I had read Otake Hideo's 3rd principle about the use of pincers and selecting where to place them according to one's strategy. This is from his book, Opening Theory Made Easy. I tried to apply my readings twice in this game but am not sure that my attempts were successful. Still, it was helpful to experiment.

This game pointed to one weakness on my part; a willingness in my mind to concede too easily. In a post-game examination of the board, I realized that, even with the loss of the black stones in M3, the surrounding white stones would be dead as long as I played again in M3 (denying the formation of two eyes). During the game, I had assumed that White would live in that area. augustine resigned on the assumption that the game was not winnable; but against a less determined spirit, that assumption might have been false.

This game was very helpful for that insight given to me. Thanks augustine!

3 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger GreatnessBlog said...

I realized that, even with the loss of the black stones in M3, the surrounding white stones would be dead as long as I played again in M3 (denying the formation of two eyes).

It's a good pattern to remember -- it comes up a lot. Whenever your stones are inside a single big eye, imagine if your stones were completely surrounded. Does the resulting shape live?

 
At 9:56 AM, September 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't notice the dead shape, I thought I'd seen a game before where you knowingly killed such a shape. Perhaps you were just distracted in other ways without a mind on the kill. Still, if W intended to resign anyway, it would be best to capture and see what the opponent does anyway. If the opponent response is proper, then a resign is surely called for. If it is improper, then a resign is showing unwarranted respect. IMO. But what do I know, I'm still only 20k myself. ;)

Pincer play is tough IMO. I'm starting to get a little better at it, but I still prefer peaceful games and pincers are for fighting. Sometimes the peaceful play is just too generous, however, and you have to get violent. Ah, well.

 
At 10:13 AM, September 29, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

I came across a great proverb that applies to me.

You are always two stones stronger when watching a game.

I might have noticed it during the endgame (had it come to that) but during the middle game I had "mentally written it off" as a living White group. I was probably feeling that my original plan was foiled and lacked the mental detachment to step back and re-analyze the board.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home