Friday, September 16, 2005

Need Go books?

Copy of auction image from eBay listing 4575975335.

If anyone needs more reading materials for their library, a person on eBay is selling 28 Go books (mostly earlier prints from Kiseido) starting at $0.99 for the whole lot (shipping is $16 within the USA). A quick scan of the titles suggests that there's enough material to take one up to the single-digit kyus; perhaps even shodan. A handful of these are no longer in print and may be of interest to collectors as well. The auction ends on September 22nd.

It's day four of my rest and relaxation Go sabbatical. Rest is defined as not playing ranked games (I've only had two matches during this period). Relaxation is defined as reading Go books. I'm still a little short on sleep because of my work schedule but I feel good fo having gone through more pages of my books. I may play worse when I get back on KGS since I will be experimenting with some new ideas, but I think it will pay-off in the long run.

3 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger frankiii said...

I've been trying to search for these kinds of books but eBay's search is so brutally inadequate. How did you actually find these?

I've searched for kiseido, go problems, go book, kiseido book, etc. Nothing is ever found.

 
At 8:48 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

I use Boolean logic plus reasonable guesses as to how sellers are likely to describe Go stuff. I have a somewhat long search text which looks for these and filters out all Gameboy, Nintendo, Hikaru No Go DVDs, and Parker Brothers misses. The result is usually all Go books and Go-related gear. It still is only 80% accurate but that means I only have 4 pages of eBay items to review when I run the full search.

There really aren't that many English books of great quality that go on auction on eBay. Most are in Chinese and shipped from Hong Kong.

 
At 3:23 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

It looks like the auction was terminated prematurely on the 19th and the books weren't sold.

I joked with mungo that the seller's husband might have finally come home and said, "What do you think you're DOING selling MY Go books?!!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home