Friday, September 16, 2005

For the first time, 26k

I made a breakthrough to 26k this evening. As always, ranks are precarious but it was very satisfying to reach that benchmark for the first time.

It was my third rated game of the night with bunko0463 (25k), set as even, that gave me the final nudge up. He has my gratitude for having accepted an even game, and I owe him a rematch.

I must thank Zero9090 (18k) and erislover (21k) for giving me excellent warm-ups before my rated games. They both played free games with me at reduced handicaps; and that forced me to read deeper. They both also gave me post-game reviews.

If I really did do anything significantly different tonight, it was to take mungo's (4k) counsel, yoyoma's (2k) advice, along with Toshiro Kageyama's (7p) demand (that's the best word for it) from his book, Lessons In The Fundamentals of Go.
  • I took the time to carefully survey the board before making my next move
  • I tried to look for the big points (although I know I missed a lot)
  • I applied (as much as possible and as deeply as I could) the discipline of trying to read out my moves and alternatives even if I have to do it one stone at a time
Of course, it was also good to have an undisturbed evening to play.

This was a very nice to end my 4-day Go sabbatical.

Thanks everyone!

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, September 17, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats @ reaching 26k!
Always exciting to reach a new level of achievement.

NannyOgg

 
At 11:38 PM, September 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks NannyOgg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home