Saturday, September 03, 2005

A bamboo floor goban?

Yellow Mountain Imports sells a lot of Go gear from China on eBay.

Bamboo is often used for flooring and cutting boards. It is an easily renewable resource and fairly inexpensive. I had long thought that it could be used to make an excellent table goban since its surface can be attractive and stones make a nice snap when slapped on it.

But bamboo as a floor goban doesn't quite appeal to me. I found this item in YMI's inventory.

The design needs some refinements.
What's with the two-toned legs?


Reminds me of lumber stacks at the Home Depot.

Because bamboo is made in slats, you need to join several layers together to create one thick block. This creates a somewhat odd appearance on two of the four sides of the goban. You have a monotonous mosaic of rectangles.

The price for this item? $200 - stones and bowls included.

2 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, September 04, 2005, Blogger frankiii said...

You are right...those legs need some work. However I think the rest looks fantastic, especially for the price! I'm going to check that out! Thanks!

 
At 9:49 PM, September 04, 2005, Blogger ChiyoDad said...

They have a bamboo table goban which looks better, IMHO. I really just don't like those candy-striped legs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home